DIY Chalkboard Clothespin Clips

Wednesday, August 29, 2012


Before I start today's tutorial I want to say thank you to everyone who read my last post. I was overwhelmed with more love than I could have every imagined receiving! Thank you all for your prayers for Darren and I. We appreciate it more than you know. Now.... onto the fun stuff!

As some of you may know, I have been gearing up for my very first craft show. Nervous does not even begin to describe how excited, scared, and downright freaked out that I have been over the past week. So as a stress reliever I decided to work on a few projects for the booth. Thankfully everything has turned out wonderfully thus far so it has been quite therapuetic. The first thing I went to work on was some homemade chalkboard clips to use as price tags or mini signs. I first saw this idea in an Etsy shop and almost bought some before I decided to try to make my own. Turns out they are actually really easy to make.
All you need are some simple wood pieces, clothespins, chalkboard paint, and wood glue. I found it all at Hobby Lobby, but I assume any craft store and possibly even Walmart would have all of these as well.

So all you do is paint the wood pieces with the chalkboard paint. I found that 2 - 3 coats looks the best. After you are done with all of the coats you want to put on them make sure you let them dry for about 24 hours. This is how mine looked after it was all said and done.
Notice the back of these bad boys? Yeah, not so cute. Especially since these will be on display in my craft show booth. Solution?
Washi tape! Did you really think I would suggest anything else? Yep, just throw on a few strips of washi tape, trim the edges, and it makes a huge improvement! I ended up Mod Podge-ing mine in order to make sure they hold up well, but you wouldn't have to do that. What do you think though? Do you like them? I LOVE them! It makes me happy that they looked bad and that I had to cover them up! I would have never known what I was missing...

Next, just apply the wood glue to your clothespins and stick onto the backs of the chalkboards.

Yes, you WILL get a gooey explosion of wood glue when you stick the clothespins down. This is normal. Just gently wipe off the majority of it with a paper towel (damp or dry will work). You can also wipe it off after it dries. So don't worry about that. The wood glue directions told me to put them in a wood clamp for 20 minutes. Unfortunately I didn't have any wood clamps lying around so I just put a heavy book on top of them. And here is the finished product...

Can't wait to pretty up my display with these cuties! I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs